What would be a single-word verb for making something immutable (= unchanging over time or unable to be changed; generally used to describe objects in computer science)?

What I actually want to say is

UnmodifiableMap is a map with immutable keys and values. UnmodifiableKeySetMap is a modified version of UnmodifiableMap that only ??? the keys.

  • 7
    Petrify, freeze, arrest, crystallize, congeal
    – 1006a
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 18:58
  • 1
    Codify, concretize, solidify, archive, set, standardize? Commented May 22, 2017 at 18:58
  • 4
    Fix. "b : to give a permanent or final form to: such as (1) : to change into a stable compound or available form bacteria that fix nitrogen (2) : to kill, harden, and preserve for microscopic study (3) : to make the image of (a photographic film) permanent by removing unused salts" MW.
    – Phil Sweet
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 20:08
  • 1
    Lock -- as in the file is locked. Commented May 22, 2017 at 21:06
  • 1
    finalize as in to finalize a CD-R for example.
    – Jim
    Commented May 23, 2017 at 4:45

3 Answers 3


"Stabilize" could fit, but at a less forceful meaning than immutable. Or "Freeze," which implies no further change or movement.


There isn't a widely recognized verb form. I use "immutablize", because I think the majority of readers will understand the intent.

I wish "immute" was an option, but it's already a word that means "to change" (which seems backwards, but I'm not an etymologist).


Perhaps you could use:

ascribe [uh-skrahyb] verb (used with object)

  1. to credit or assign, as to a cause or source; attribute; impute

  2. to attribute or think of as belonging, as a quality or characteristic


affix [uh-fiks] verb (used with object)

  1. to fasten, join, or attach (usually followed by to)

  2. to put or add on; append

*Definitions taken from dictionary.com

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.