I think I heard this somewhere before. Is there an Irish (British maybe?) word for taking money from the state for unemployment, but then actually working a job secretly on the side.

1 Answer 1


Doing a Nixer. Particularly in Dublin slang.

Google will find you many refs, including these.



  • 1
    This isn't correct. Nixers are small, casual jobs taken in addition to regular employment. E.g. a plumber who works for a company but takes small jobs directly from customers on evenings or weekends. While it's implied that income tax/VAT etc. aren't paid, it's not the right word for someone on the dole. The links you've provided say the same thing.
    – Niall
    Commented Jul 10, 2017 at 13:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.