What do we call a group of stage actors and actresses, who join together in one team to present theatrical performance? An image is attached for illustration enter image description here

  • 2
    You don't use the word troupe? May 18, 2017 at 18:25
  • 2
    I think you can simply refer to them as the cast of the play.
    – Tom22
    May 18, 2017 at 18:30
  • It would not work in the context I am working on.
    – user186499
    May 18, 2017 at 18:33
  • 1
    @user186499 what does not work? troupe or cast? May 18, 2017 at 18:52
  • The company. What context are you working on?
    – Xanne
    May 18, 2017 at 18:52

1 Answer 1


If they come together just for a single performance, they are called the cast of the play. However, if they regularly perform together, they may be called a troupe or repertory company.

Troupe generally applies to groups that travel from one venue to another, and may sometimes be used for groups that tour for only one show. Repertory company refers specifically to a group that performs multiple successive shows together, and usually has a stationary home theatre (though repertory companies may also tour). From Oxford Dictionaries:

cast2 NOUN
treated as singular or plural The actors taking part in a play, film, or other production.

troupe NOUN
A group of dancers, actors, or other entertainers who tour to different venues.

repertory company NOUN
A theatrical company that performs plays from its repertoire for regular, short periods of time, moving on from one play to another.

  • Or just company for short. May 18, 2017 at 21:14
  • Very nice answer, laying out the options and their different uses. May 19, 2017 at 5:26
  • A theatre company doesn't have to be'repertory'. If they are resident in a single place and offer different performances regularly then they are just a "theatre company". May 20, 2019 at 18:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.