1

Of or for

City A is famous for\ of planting melons and watermelons in summer. I noticed somewhere in internet that using for is 66% while other prepositions that can be used after the term famous such as ( about, of, in, at ) are the rest 34% Is this true in English grammar? I feel as if something went wrong while I say for examples: He is famous for saying the truth. He is famous for bravery. He is famous for saying poetry. I think using famous of gives the phrase or the sentence more stress than famous for . I dislike using for in such circumstances! What do you say?

  • Finding that the word famous can be followed, somehow, by 'of' does not offer much of a lesson. I've never seen it in print. I will say that if a search for 'famous' shows many hits and 'faymuss' shows few, you would know which is spelled the right way, but that's a different comparison. – Yosef Baskin May 17 '17 at 20:20
  • Welcome to ELU. Which preposition or word to use after famous depends on context and the meaning you are trying to convey. You really don't show the results of your search. "famous for" is standard; other prepositions offer other meanings. – Xanne May 18 '17 at 4:56
2

Which one is correct depends on what you want to say. They are not interchangeable. You can say:

This restaurant is famous for its French cuisine.

Or:

Michael is the most famous of the Jackson brothers.

  • Oh, touché Michael. – Yosef Baskin May 17 '17 at 20:21
1

Very often when somebody asks about which preposition to use here, it is actually a question about what a particular word (usually a verb or adjective) takes.

This is such a case. It happens to be the case that "famous" takes "for" and not "of": there is no reason for this, it just happens that way, and you need to learn it.

It is complete nonsense to talk about percentages of prepositions: this is not about "of" vs "for", this is about "famous for".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.