Could you suggest some options to name a person, someone who meets all the guests at the entrance/at the beginning of some event? Not a Chair.

I know it is not a bouncer. Instead, it should be very close to a host or a greeter. Welcomer? (welcoming person)

Update: For one event only, it is not a permanent job, just a role.

Greeter. Thanks to all.

  • This would depend upon the nature of the event. For example, it could be a bouncer.
    – Chenmunka
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 13:53
  • Thanks, that is not a bouncer, sorry. I've updated the post.
    – user236360
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 14:04
  • 2
    I went to an event planning website and got one of those annoying pop-ups "Chat with us! Now!" so I did and asked your question. He said greeter (as in @thomj1332's answer) or, maybe, check-in attendant. Commented May 16, 2017 at 18:23
  • job-applications.com/walmart-greeter. “Walmart greeters meet customers at store entrances. Greeters at Walmart may assist customers with cart selection, offer coupons, or simply welcome people to the store.”
    – Jim
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 20:02
  • Yes, a greeter, at the place where you enter a venue for an event. It can be a person from the event organizing team or someone who works for the place. Words like attendant are only for those who work for the place. You are looking for something more upscale, is that right?
    – Lambie
    Commented Jul 10, 2018 at 0:28

4 Answers 4


If they are meeting the guests to welcome them, I'd call them the host. Or, if they aren't actually the host but just an emissary for the host, I'd called them the greeter.

As mentioned in the comments, if they aren't there to welcome but to vet they'd be called a bouncer.

  • Host/greeter are very close - might be welcomer is ok, thanks.
    – user236360
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 14:05
  • 1
    "host" and "greeter" are totally unrelated, and have no connection to each other.
    – Fattie
    Commented Jul 10, 2018 at 0:23

You should consider usher.


usher NOUN

1 A person who shows people to their seats, especially in a theater or at a wedding.

‘Sarah and Paul have asked me to be one of the two ushers at their wedding.’

American Heritage Dictionary:


2. One who greets guests at a wedding and escorts them to their seats.

  • Thank you, but that is not about seats, just meet ans greet people. Neither about tickets.
    – user236360
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 17:56
  • Hope you saw the second definition (AHD) which mentions greeting guests. Commented May 16, 2017 at 17:57
  • Yes, I saw, thanks. I also did translation to my first language, and found the connotation is not so relevant to mine, sorry.
    – user236360
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 18:01
  • Might be I should search for some examples of use in real texts.
    – user236360
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 18:02
  • Try host--although this implies more than greeting. The people who greet the guests (and are giving the party or event) are the receiving line.
    – Xanne
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 19:07

In the PTA world, this has been traditionally called the

Hospitality Chair


Hospitality Committee

It's okay if it's a committee of one. It is sometimes called the

Welcoming Committee

Again, it's okay to have only one person in this committee.

  • @user236360 - Why don't you post an answer so you can close this out? // I'm glad you settled on a word that works for you. Commented May 18, 2017 at 16:50
  • 1
    Thank you, I've just done it - and now see your comment.
    – user236360
    Commented May 18, 2017 at 16:53

In a formal, commercial setting (such as a restaurant), you could use Maitre d':

maître d'hôtel (also maître d')


1 The head waiter of a restaurant.

1.1 The manager of a hotel.

Another option, perhaps, (again, depending on the situation), could be a Concierge:



1 (especially in France) a resident caretaker of a block of flats or a small hotel.

2 A hotel employee whose job is to assist guests by booking tours, making theatre and restaurant reservations, etc.

Lastly, (and this is a bit of a stretch,) there is Attendant:



1 A person employed to provide a service to the public in a particular place. ‘a cloakroom attendant’

1.1 An assistant to an important person; a servant or courtier. ‘a mosaic of the Empress Theodora with her attendants’

2 A person who is present on a particular occasion. ‘he had become a regular attendant at chapel’

FWIW, the folks that say "hi" at the door of places like Wal-Mart are called greeters.

Hope this helps!

  • Thank you, great vocabulary. However, it is not so close to the role I'd like to express.
    – user236360
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 18:04
  • the matire d'hotel, and the concierge, specifically do Not act as a "greeter".
    – Fattie
    Commented Jul 10, 2018 at 0:24
  • Per the linked Wikipedia article, "The responsibilities of a maître d'hôtel generally include supervising the waiting staff, *welcoming guests* and assigning tables to them, taking reservations and ensuring that guests are satisfied." I have dined in many restaurants where the maitre d' met guests and seated them. Yes, it's the fancier ones (not your Denny's or Applebees) but it is used that way. Commented Jul 11, 2018 at 19:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.