Looking for the word, when someone is talking to someone else about you and tells then you will say something which is actually incorrect. It's "Mis---" something or similar i think - but not "misquote" because it's not actually been said

For instance:

Bob to Jim: Dave will definitely not want to go to that bar

(Dave actually does want to)

  • 1
    Probably "misguide, mislead."
    – user66974
    Commented May 12, 2017 at 15:54
  • Hi Nick, seeking clarification here. The "you" in your question's first sentence maps to "Dave" in your example. What kind of incorrect assertion might Dave make? (NB: in your example, it looks like it's Bob who made the incorrect assertion, not Dave.)
    – Lawrence
    Commented May 12, 2017 at 16:13
  • 'Misinform' comes to mind. Commented May 12, 2017 at 16:33
  • 'Misconstrue'? . .
    – Xanne
    Commented May 12, 2017 at 20:12
  • 1
    Bob is mistaken. The sentiment is misstated. Dave has been misunderstood.
    – Jim
    Commented May 13, 2017 at 2:42

1 Answer 1


Misrepresent would work here.

to misrepresent -- to give a false or misleading account of the nature of. Google Definition

e.g. Bob misrepresented Dave's sentiment by claiming Dave would definitely not want to go to that bar.

Some synonyms for misrepresent (same reference as above): to skew, warp, falsify, distort, or misstate

  • Thanks! it's not the word I was thinking of - it's driving me mad Commented May 12, 2017 at 16:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.