Is there an adjective in English to describe grown-up children? In context, I was writing about family dynamics and the "parental duty of care" towards children, but got stuck on a word describing any duty of care of adult children towards their (elderly) parents.

Example sentence:

The mother and father have a parental duty of care, especially in their offspring's younger years. In return the children have a {adjective for adult children} duty of care to their elderly parents in later years.

Obviously candidates like "infantile" or "juvenile" don't work as they exclude adult children.

Thanks for any suggestions.

  • 3
    In general I'd advise against accepting an answer straight away. Fewer people tend to visit answered questions, so you may get other, better, answers if you leave it a day or two.
    – AndyT
    Commented May 12, 2017 at 10:47

2 Answers 2


You might consider the word filial:

of, relating to, or befitting a son or daughter: filial obedience


This word doesn't connotate adult children as such, but unlike your rejected words of "infantile" and "juvenile" it doesn't connotate under-18s.


If you are looking for a more formal word, you can use issue

children of one's own. "he died without male issue"

Usually this is used in formal settings, such as legal or historical documents.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.