Good day all,

As the title suggests, I am looking for a formal word that means "partially obscured from view" meaning part of the object is visible, while part of it is not. Words such as nestled, sunken, semi-visible, semi-hidden ect... are inappropriate for the context of usage. Nestled and sunken suggest a physical relationship to the object that is obscuring(touching, connected), and semi- is not professional.

Thank you.

  • 'Partially hidden' is not informal. May 10, 2017 at 19:58

5 Answers 5


A lot of performance venues -- theatres and stadiums and such -- sell "obstructed view" seats for a lower price. Those seats have something (column or the like) blocking the view, at least partially. Perhaps obstructed would work for you?




1 Block (an opening, path, road, etc.); be or get in the way of.

‘she was obstructing the entrance’

Hope this helps.

  • 1
    Thank you all for your help! This one fits the billet perfectly.
    – Lanet Rino
    May 10, 2017 at 19:12
  • 2
    @LanetRino Note that if you like the answer, you can upvote it as well as accepting it. (You can also upvote any other answers that you like, even if they aren't quite what you were looking for.)
    – 1006a
    May 10, 2017 at 19:16

Some words like veiled or shadowed would probably work, but I think you're looking for the word eclipsed.

  • 1
    Quote relevant definitions from reliable dictionaries for the words you suggest.
    – NVZ
    May 10, 2017 at 17:23
  • 1
    See also: What good reference works on English are available?
    – NVZ
    May 10, 2017 at 17:27
  • 3
    I think eclipsed is probably the best candidate so far. Thank you. Not ready to mark it the answer yet though.
    – Lanet Rino
    May 10, 2017 at 18:33
  • 1
    Something can be eclipsed partially or fully. It still works as partially eclipsed (not a single word though). May 10, 2017 at 19:09

In fact, obscured (used in your very question) serves your purpose, unless you don't consider it formal enough. See the examples below too and you will see what I mean.



If one thing obscures another, it prevents it from being seen or heard properly.

Trees obscured his vision; he couldn't see much of the Square's southern half.

One wall of the parliament building is now almost completely obscured by a huge banner.

  • 1
    obscured does not suggest "partially", it suggest completely covered.
    – Lanet Rino
    May 10, 2017 at 18:32
  • Just use partially obscured Lanet, I been thinking about this the last hour too and trying to zen this to one word hurts my brain.
    – Chris
    May 10, 2017 at 18:38
  • 1
    @LanetRino, I beg to differ; obscured does not imply completely covered. The dictionary examples are proof enough, don't you think? In fact, the second example uses completely to qualify obscured. I can still understand if you do not prefer to use it, though. May 10, 2017 at 18:59
  • Thank you for your efforts. I did not mean to give you a headache!
    – Lanet Rino
    May 10, 2017 at 19:13
  • @LanetRino no you didn't give me a headache! Just trying to help. Hope you find your word! May 10, 2017 at 19:20

What I think of that may work:

  1. Indistinctly
  2. Vaguely

Adding the 'ly' makes it take on more of the word "partial".


While there are other good answers to this question, word choice is often about what other "baggage" or flavors a word brings along with it

I might suggest Eclipse be used in some situations

eclipse from Oxford living dictionaries NOUN

1 An obscuring of the light from one celestial body by the passage of another between it and the observer or between it and its source of illumination.

‘an eclipse of the sun’

1.1 A loss of significance or power in relation to another person or thing.

‘the election result marked the eclipse of the traditional right’


1(of a celestial body) obscure the light from or to (another celestial body) ‘Jupiter was eclipsed by the Moon’ More example sentences

1.1 Deprive (someone or something) of significance or power.

‘the economy has eclipsed the environment as the main issue’

1.2 literary use of eclipse

Obscure or block out (light)

‘a sea of blue sky violently eclipsed by showers’

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.