When promoting someone or something to a higher standing, is there a noun that can be used to describe the object of the promotion? Something equivalent to "the guy being promoted" is basically what I'm looking for. My first thought is "promotee" but that just strikes me as odd/wrong for some reason.

  • Which dictionaries did you consult? merriam-webster.com/dictionary/promotee
    – Unreason
    Aug 22, 2011 at 13:21
  • 2
    Dictionaries are some of the worst ways to figure out what words can and can't be used in writing or conversation.
    – Jeremy
    Aug 22, 2011 at 13:24
  • I don't much like "promotee", but here are over 2000 written instances, so one can hardly say it's "wrong" to use it. Aug 22, 2011 at 18:01

2 Answers 2


Would the term recipient work?

  • Much better fit, works excellently and sounds better in the context
    – yoozer8
    Aug 22, 2011 at 13:27

The form I would use is promot*ed*.

He just got promoted. or He is a newly promoted person.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.