Mothers and Fathers are called parents, grandmothers and grandfathers are called grandparents, so what do you call aunts and uncles?

  • 9
    We just call them aunts and uncles. Anglophones in general don't tend to have or use a large stock of words defining marital and/or blood relationships. May 9, 2017 at 18:07
  • What @FumbleFingers said. Culture doesn't translate word-for-word.
    – Drew
    May 9, 2017 at 23:56
  • The closest I can think of would be "my parents' siblings." May 10, 2017 at 5:47
  • Slightly off-topic, but in line with @Drew's and Fumble's comments, Robert Heinlein's novel Citizen of the Galaxy features a society with far MORE precise words for familial relationships (and far more cultural significance of such) than anything existing in English. A good read.
    – Wildcard
    Aug 9, 2017 at 22:44
  • 2
    Zeroth cousin once-removed. Of course, this would also be what you called your nieces and nephews.
    – D Krueger
    Aug 10, 2017 at 4:01

1 Answer 1


I've heard "extended family" used for this. Merriam-Webster even has an entry for it:

  • a family that includes in one household near relatives (such as grandparents, aunts, or uncles) in addition to a nuclear family

Though that might be more inclusive than you're looking for.

  • 3
    "Extended family" would also include cousins, grandchildren, an probably some more distant relatives. Aug 9, 2017 at 22:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.