I am looking for a word to use for when someone who cares about someone else wants to know how they are doing. The context this is in is that Person A injured themselves, and Person B, who cares for Person A, wants to know if they are O.K. (immediately after the injury).

  • Welcome to English Language and Usage. From the SWR tag: "This tag is for questions seeking a single word that fits a meaning. To ensure your question is not closed as off-topic, please be specific about the intended use of the word. YOU MUST INCLUDE A SAMPLE SENTENCE demonstrating how the word would be used. Please use the "phrase-requests" tag instead if you seek more than just a single word." May 9, 2017 at 18:27
  • Sally called and asked after you. OR: Sally called and wanted to know how you're doing. OR: Sally called and asked me how the surgery went. Etc. May 10, 2017 at 6:01

1 Answer 1


Inquire after means to ask about someone's health and in my opinion carries the connotation of concern and interest. Although, you could inquire after with a false concern. But, then you are just being a jerk.

To inquire after: To ask about the health or condition of (someone).

(This is according to The Free Dictionary)

  • Thanks for the answer! I feel that inquire might sound too formal, as the two people are very close friends and it was only a minor injury. Do you know if there are any other words that might be similar to inquire, but not as formal-sounding?
    – Jack Zhang
    May 9, 2017 at 22:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.