What is a single word to describe "beating someone brutally"?

  • It might be helpful to include in a request for a term a brief statement describing the intended or anticipated.
    – user5926
    Mar 10, 2011 at 4:23
  • Honestly, there are so many good words for this, I don't think there can be one that constitutes a right answer. We English-speakers are kinda into violence. It's like the Sami with their hundreds of words for snow.
    – T.E.D.
    Jul 29, 2011 at 20:01

11 Answers 11


"Thrash" is a good word, and looking at a thesaurus gives many others including batter, clobber, maul, paste, pound, pummel/pommel, wallop, assault, bash, drub, etc. Meanings depend on context and some of these can be informal/mild/humorous; before using a word, look up its meaning and examples of usage.

Bonus Indian-English slang word: thulp, probably derived from "thrash/thump to a pulp". :-)

  • 2
    Note that "thrash" can also mean (in British English, at least), to resoundingly beat a person or team in a sport - so context is important. Oct 10, 2010 at 18:39
  • 2
    Listening to sportscasters during the nightly news, you are likely to hear any of the terms @ShreevatsaR listed used as nouns, adverbs, or adjectives, as well as verbs.
    – oosterwal
    Feb 19, 2011 at 3:20
  • Some of these words, like clobber or wallop, can imply that only a single blow was administered; the phrase "beating someone brutally" implies (at least to me) that it went on for a while.
    – intuited
    Apr 19, 2011 at 22:20
  • 2
    @Steve Melnikoff - In American English, I've seen every word up there used for "to resoundingly beat a person or team in sports".
    – T.E.D.
    Jul 29, 2011 at 20:03

Your question said to beat someone brutally. I think "brutalize" is therefore a great candidate that no one has yet mentioned.

  • 6
    To me "brutalize" always seems to suggest "to make someone brutal", as in "Giving too much power to prison wardens brutalizes them" or "The atmosphere of fierce competition has brutalized our minds". This meaning is listed in dictionaries, and looking at results before 1900 it seems to be the only meaning. I wonder when this meaning of "brutalize" as "beat someone brutally" came into existence; I find it ugly…. Mar 11, 2011 at 12:32
  • 2
    @Shree: Interesting. I didn't have that use for brutalize in my head yet. +1 for a great use of the word, regardless of which came first.
    – MrHen
    Mar 17, 2011 at 18:20
  • Here in the USA, "brutalize" is often a euphemism for rape. We don't like just out and out using the latter term, particularly in print.
    – T.E.D.
    Jul 29, 2011 at 19:58
  • 4
    I just searched U.S. news outlets for use of the word "brutalize" and could not find a single use indicating rape.
    – Fixee
    Jul 30, 2011 at 1:14

Adding to ShreevatsaR's answer, you have trounce, which seems similar to thrash - it can mean to either beat severely or to defeat in a game/battle. Maybe you could also use pulverize, which literally means to turn to dust, but can be used to mean to beat to a pulp.


One word missing from the list at this point is savage (usually used in the past tense or in its adverbial form, savagely).


Batter is used often when the victim is a woman.

  • "She was battered repeatedly."
  • "He battered her mercilessly."
  • "He committed battery on every woman he married."
  • "He was convicted of battery."
  • "He had a habit of battering his wife and children whenever he was drunk or angry."

If you find yourself in a thuggish neighborhood (and hip-hop slang is accepable):

To merc or to merk

Be warned: these definitions use coarse language that may be offensive to the reader (urbandictionary.com).

  • 1
    I think the usage is, if someone is "merked", they are literally dead. You can use it figuratively, to describe an epic defeat at some talent (e.g., rapping), but there's no in between like you give.
    – Uticensis
    Feb 19, 2011 at 2:57

Curb-stomping is a specific kind of brutal beating that is often used metaphorically to describe extremely one-sided conflicts (warning: tvtropes).


In legal terminology 'mayhem' is used to describe 'intentional infliction of violent injury'

This is distinct from simple assault, which is an intentional attack, and battery, the injury resulting from assault.

  • My understanding is that mayhem refers specifically to the infliction of a permanent, disabling injury, such as the loss of a limb. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:35

Depending on the weapon used, you might try fustigate, meaning to beat with a cudgel; this would be particularly appropriate if you wish to convey a certain archaic tone.


Some words you can use:


M-w.com gives the following definition for the word:

" to beat with or as if with a rod or whip."


Again, referring to m-w.com yields the following definitions:

transitive verb 1 a : to thrash soundly : b : to beat by a wide margin : 2 : to hit with force :

lambaste, trounce and sock are referenced as synonyms.


Pasting, battering, clattering, thumping, walloping, kicking-in, drubbing.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.