I've been wracking my brain trying to remember a word for a try-hard, pleb artist! It starts with a "d", if I remember correctly, and I'm sorry if the details aren't enough and such. You know, even the definition of this supposed "d" word I can't remember, I'm also quite hazy with. Though I think the general gist of it is mildly derogatory but in a "stating the facts" kinda way. An artist that can't be great or masquerading to be great or something... Starts with a "d" I think... Oof! Any suggestions? Answers?


I think the word you're looking for is dilettante.

a person who cultivates an area of interest, such as the arts, without real commitment or knowledge.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    No, it would be better if people checked to see if the question has been asked already. – Edwin Ashworth Apr 30 '17 at 14:42
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth fair enough, I suppose. Maybe try closing these questions before I answer them if it bothers you so much as to warrant a downvote. Or maybe it's helpful to the OP that I answered the question. – RaceYouAnytime Apr 30 '17 at 14:43
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth to take your comment literally though, no, I don't agree that deleting my answer would benefit the site. Closing the question would. The answer has nothing to do with it. – RaceYouAnytime Apr 30 '17 at 15:24
  • 1
    @Cascabel point taken and I'll keep that in mind, thanks. – RaceYouAnytime Apr 30 '17 at 18:49
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth infinitive answer deleted. – RaceYouAnytime Apr 30 '17 at 23:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.