Is there a single word which describes the following activities:
- Studying (i.e. being an academic student), possibly including memory, research, writing, and perhaps expecially concentration
- Supposedly-cerebral professional work, for example being a software developer or scientist
I'd like a noun, or an adjective; and preferably not too idiomatic, i.e. I'd prefer a word that's understood by English-as-a-second-language speakers.
Not too general a word however, e.g. not "thinking", "mindfulness", or "concentration": I'd prefer a word which emphasizes the applied, practical, maybe career-oriented nature of this mental activity.
For context, I'm looking for a word I could use as a tag for the set of questions listed in this meta-answer, Want a new tag, e.g. for office work and academic work?, which include:
- Software programming/Art and Buddhist Practice - Pursuing creative activity
- Scientific Problem solving and Wu Wei
- Is Buddhism against scientific attitude?
- Can meditation help students in exams?
- How to be mindful while studying?
- Can meditation help me in my academics?
These are topics from "students" and from "scientists" asking whether e.g. meditation can improve their performance, so I'd like to tag them accordingly.
Because it's to use as a tag I might also (instead of only a single word) accept a pseudo compound/hyphenated word, e.g. "