I'm writing a packing procedure report. And I don't know what the open part at the back of a pack should be called. Does anyone know this?


  • 2
    Can you elaborate or include a picture of what you're referring to? An open part at the back of a pack isn't ringing any bells as to what you might be talking about. – fixer1234 Apr 25 '17 at 7:14
  • @fixer1234 picture added (y) – Ōkami X Oukarin Apr 25 '17 at 7:16
  • 1
    This one is still escaping me. On something like a pouch made from a sheet of paper or plastic film, the material is formed into a tube, which is flattened into a pouch, and then the top and bottom of the tube are sealed to hold the contents. Where the sides were joined to form the tube, it is often sealed a short distance from the edge. The material between the seal and the edge becomes a flap that is folded flat against the pouch, usually running down the back of the pouch. Is that flap the part you're referring to? – fixer1234 Apr 25 '17 at 7:34
  • 2
    I'm not familiar with a specific technical name for that and if there was, and you're writing for non-technical people, they might not be familiar with the term. I'd be more inclined to just describe it. Maybe refer to it as "the flap running down the back". – fixer1234 Apr 25 '17 at 7:48
  • 2
    Perhaps the "back seam"? – fixer1234 Apr 25 '17 at 7:58

If the opening in the back of the pack is one that can be opened and closed, especially if the packing is made of plastic, it could be called a ziplock.

having an interlocking groove and ridge that form a tight seal when pressed together a ziplock plastic bag

If it's a permanent fixture that must be broken to open and cannot be refastened, I would call it a seal.

2 a : something that secures (as a wax seal on a document)

b : a closure that must be broken to be opened and that thus reveals tampering

I would take a look at google image searches of these terms and see if they fit with what you're referring to.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    tks, i supposed to use "seal" at first but i need something more detail to tell partner exactly which part i'm talking about (top, bottom, back). "back seam" seems a legit answer atm =)). tks for spending time (y) – Ōkami X Oukarin Apr 25 '17 at 9:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.