I'm trying to find a word that is specific to the area right in front of a door, especially the outside area of a door. The word entrance is too broad, because that could be inside or outside. I need to specify outside.

  • 1
    Threshold, perhaps? CDO has a broader definition than some: threshold noun: the floor of an entrance to a building or room Commented Apr 21, 2017 at 22:53
  • 2
    How do you want to use this word? Can you provide an example sentence?
    – Jim
    Commented Apr 21, 2017 at 23:25
  • @EdwinAshworth Threshold has a very specific meaning. It is the strip of wood or stone immediately under the door when closed , and forming the bottom of the doorway. I think the OP is thinking here of the arc through which a door swings. I believe the term is "the door's arc". At least I cannot think of any other name for it, unless it is the door swing. .
    – WS2
    Commented Apr 21, 2017 at 23:32
  • @WS2 'Hurricane' also has a very specific meaning. And a less specific one, which is used more often. Words are often polysemic. I gave the broader definition CDO provides; the normal usage is far broader, being metaphorical. Dictionary.com differs again: 'noun 1. the sill of a doorway. 2. the entrance to a house or building.' ... Commented Apr 22, 2017 at 0:08
  • 1
    @neu242 You're right. I think if it's not sheltered like that we generally don't consider it a "thing" that gets named.
    – Barmar
    Commented Aug 20, 2020 at 14:57

1 Answer 1


Even if there are no stairs immediately outside the door, "stoop" is what New Yorkers would say.

  • 1
    The outside of most doors is still within a building. (That's why you shouldn't answer these questions, but flag/vote to close them instead.)
    – Glorfindel
    Commented Apr 25, 2017 at 19:34
  • It's always good to hear what various speakers say, but do you have a reference for your answer?
    – Dog Lover
    Commented Apr 27, 2017 at 1:52

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.