What do you call a pupil who goes somewhere else in name of going to school?

Is there a particular word for it?


The formal word for him would be a Truant

A truant is a child (boy or girl) who deliberately avoids school.
The child is also said to be playing truant while doing this.

There are several slang terms, which tend to vary both from place to place and over time.

| improve this answer | |
  • As far as I know a truant could just as easily apply to a girl as a boy (the OP mentioned boy). I have never heard of a truantess. – WS2 Apr 21 '17 at 8:09
  • @WS2: True, that's why I said child in the answer. I've edited it to make it clearer. – Chenmunka Apr 21 '17 at 8:11
  • I don't think there is a word that specifically targets boys. I'd edit my post to replace "boy" with "pupil". "Truant" is the word I was looking for. – Arishta Apr 21 '17 at 8:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.