Looking for a word to express objects being aligned next to each other without any space in between.

closed as off-topic by Rory Alsop, Glorfindel, Hellion, sumelic, Phil Sweet Apr 18 '17 at 2:00

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Glorfindel, Hellion, sumelic, Phil Sweet
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Look up adjacent and its synonyms. – Glorfindel Apr 16 '17 at 18:55
  • 1
    @Glorfindel - adjacency doesn’t require touching or abuttment – Jim Apr 16 '17 at 19:01
  • 3
    In some cases (mathematics) it does. That's why the OP needs to provide more detail as well. – Glorfindel Apr 16 '17 at 19:02
  • 2
    Continguous is another possibility. But, @Mayank, please provide context and explain the research you've done thus far. And look up the definition of write. – Xanne Apr 16 '17 at 19:09
  • 1
    Contiguous, that should have been. – Xanne Apr 16 '17 at 20:01



1. even or level, as with a surface; forming the same plane:
The bottom of the window is flush with the floor.

2. having direct contact; being right next to; immediately adjacent; contiguous:
The table was flush against the wall.



(I noticed this was in the comments by @Glorfindel after I posted - the full definition including it's mathematical meaning may be worth considering )

I think "adjacent" is a bit more common and word more appropiate with things such as the examples below...however the other answers emphasize the "no space between" more firmly:

adjacent ADJECTIVE

1 Next to or adjoining something else.

‘adjacent rooms’

‘the area adjacent to the station’

2 Geometry

(of a pair of angles) formed on the same side of a straight line when intersected by another line.



1.) To touch or lean upon.

2.) To be adjacent to, border at.

  • Please consider adding the source of your definition. – 0xFEE1DEAD Apr 16 '17 at 21:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.