If two people are trying to avoid eye contact with each other, either out of hatred or just out of lack of interest, can we have one word for this situation?

I am not sure if 'dodge' can be used. In any case, I am thinking of another word which I think I heard in Friends TV series. Perhaps I think Chandler and Joey were avoiding Ross, and Ross confronted them, and used a word starting with B, which meant avoiding. Not able to recall that word. So maybe I am also looking for a word where people are avoiding eye contact for a long period of time.

Sentences: 1. When they met in the hallway, they dodged each other, and went about their business. 2. They have been circumventing each other for days now.

I wish dodge or circumvent could be replaced with better verbs here. Something that clearly hints about avoiding eye contact.

  • 1
    Needs other words around it, but "averting" one's gaze is often used, in various phrasings.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 14, 2017 at 17:14
  • Could you please provide a sample sentence showing how the word is to be used? As it stands, it is kind of unclear if you need a verb, or a noun to describe the situation. Apr 14, 2017 at 17:55
  • Please, what makes you think there should be single word or a shortish phrase meaning that? How are ‘dodge’ and ‘avoid’ different? ‘… in the hallway, they dodged each other…’ has what to do with eye contact? For future reference, in the context of the question how d’you think the other words add anything to ‘… they dodged each other…’? ’They have been circumventing each other…’ would still have nothing to do with eye contact, even if ‘circumvent’ was an appropriate word. ‘Blank’ might convey a similar idea, as might ‘refuse to acknowledge’ but they also might confuse process with content. May 4, 2017 at 21:28
  • I'm looking for this exact same thing. We need a verb that describes this like, "she's been toasting me ever since I said that." It's such a common thing, we should have to in our language already . I wonder what the Latin is for erase and existence. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:04
  • Some thoughts that may help ( blinds , erase, delete, block, ghost, , masking tape, ) Jul 3, 2018 at 10:14

3 Answers 3


You're looking for a single word, right? Avoiding "eye contact" for any reason (shyness, hatred, no interest, contempt) is simply "avoiding eye contact". There is no single word to cover all possibilities.


I came across that FRIENDS episode again, and realised that the word was 'blow off'. Ross was upset that Chandler blew him off. Totally ignored him. Acted as if he wasn't interested in him.

blow sth/sb off-- to treat something or someone as if that thing or person were not important.


To blind-face someone.

Ever since I spoke about his operation, he's been blind-facing me. I guess it was a sensitive subject.

I completely made this up out of necessity.

What do you think?

  • If you made it up, I don't think it fits well on this website. If you made it up, it's only any use if other people intuitively understand it; I didn't.
    – AndyT
    Jul 3, 2018 at 13:25
  • I don't think that creativity makes it necessarily wrong. If you decide to use my phrase, up-vote. If you can find a better one, post as an answer. If an answer is wrong then down-vote. My answer actually better fits the criteria above, so far. I actually attempt to answer rather than supplying a non-answer (ie "doesn't exist") such as the one Centaurus posted. Try to answer or don't answer but don't post things like "it doesn't exist". Aug 14, 2018 at 10:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.