enter image description here I cant find what that thing is called if at all there is a word for that. Does anyone know what it is? This is some sort of load lifting device. Slings go in between the plates and well, there is a description:

used together with rope or textile slings and serves for simplification of unslinging process of represents a frame with the mobile probe After installation of load on the place is done and sling is weakened of a sling, the probe is pulled out and load is released.

And here is another picture: enter image description here

In Russian it is called literary "Smalles'(name of the inventor probably, but i couldn't find anythins on him) lock".

I found this patent. Similar device is called "device for remote unslinging". But maybe there is official name for that? Here it is once again.

1 Answer 1


It is called a pin lock, used as a sling-mechanism for handling loads using different types of slings (rope, chain, etc.) as bridles.

I didn't get a dictionary definition but found some sites from Russia thst you can relate to:




  • Well, there is no problem with Russian sites. I need English term for that thing. pin lock sounds like a credible term, but I still can't find any information if it is the exact same thing in English language. Commented Apr 14, 2017 at 8:38
  • It is difficult to find an equivalent english name because it is a different make of a lock or sling mechanism and not all of them have been named. I've seen several types of these in use in the ship building factory. Even the employees don't know its name.
    – vickyace
    Commented Apr 14, 2017 at 8:50
  • Some kind of Shackle-Pin Locking-Mechanism for Rigging and Lifting marketplace.yet2.com/app/list/… Thank you for trying your best. Commented Apr 14, 2017 at 8:50
  • Yes, this one is pretty common. I've seen it. It is the D-one, as they called it.
    – vickyace
    Commented Apr 14, 2017 at 8:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.