We can definitely "Highlight" a section of text. But is there a word or a phrase that defines taking highlighted text and, um, de-highlighting it? "low-light" doesn't seem to capture what I'm talking about.

  • 1
    Merge with the normal, un-highlight, homogenize, etc.
    – vickyace
    Commented Apr 4, 2017 at 20:40
  • 2
    Unmark, clear formatting. Commented Apr 4, 2017 at 20:42
  • 1
    Remove highlighting. Commented Apr 4, 2017 at 20:49
  • 1
    unhighlight, dehighlight.
    – Drew
    Commented Apr 4, 2017 at 20:56

1 Answer 1


There are two uses of "highlight" that have different senses. One use is to physically change the background color of a bit of text, which the Oxford English Dictionary defines as "To make visually prominent." In that case the comment suggestions of "clear formatting" or "un-highlight" would work.

The more general use of "highlight" is defined in the OED as "To bring into prominence; to draw attention to." In that case the opposite would be to "deemphasize," which the OED defines as "To remove emphasis from, or reduce emphasis on."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.