I am looking for the right term to describe a person who works in cutting reinforcing steel (rebar). This person would cut the steel bars and shape them to fit the project he/she working on. Is there a term for the person whose job is to cut and prepare rebars to be used in buildings? A photo is attached. enter image description here

  • Hmm. You can look up ironworker and steel mill worker, then come back if you find it satisfactory.
    – vickyace
    Mar 31, 2017 at 15:02
  • I would probably go for the generic "Construction worker."
    – Hellion
    Mar 31, 2017 at 15:04
  • 1
    @vickyace The rebar probably isn't cut to length at the steel mill (they would just sell standard lengths) so the worker probably isn't a steel mill worker. Mar 31, 2017 at 15:36
  • @DavidRicherby I worked in a rod mill at one time where we rolled reinforcing rod among other products. Whatever anyone else did with it afterwards it left us in the form of 2 tonne coils!
    – BoldBen
    Aug 23, 2020 at 0:10

1 Answer 1


Wikipedia gives the following terms:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.