I'd like an adjective that means "to do with weather" in the same way that dramaturgical means "to do with dramaturgy."

The _______ imagery is ...

I swear the word is right on the tip of my tongue, is it similar (in spelling) to "temperamental"?

  • 1
    Also, just to make the question seem more interesting to others, you may want to mention that the obvious adjective weathery means something else entirely in Merriam-Webster's New International Dictionary Third Edition. It's the same definition as is on their website.
    – Tonepoet
    Mar 31, 2017 at 1:50
  • Looking into all the entries containing the word "weather" in two bulky dictionaries (Shorter Oxford English Dictionary/ Webster's Third New International Dictionary) has yielded an unlikely candidate-"synoptic"; wondering whether you have managed to retrieve the word that had once slipped your mind? Oct 24, 2020 at 8:46

2 Answers 2


The word is meteorological.

Oxford Online:

Relating to the branch of science concerned with the processes and phenomena of the atmosphere, especially as a means of forecasting the weather.

‘detailed meteorological data’ ‘the effect of global warming on meteorological conditions’


Maybe "climatic," but I still think there's another one beginning with 't'.



relating to climate.

Oxford Living Dictionaries.

  • 1
    I love that you just completely made up a source... and it doesn't even match the text... Mar 31, 2017 at 1:57
  • Hmm, you're right. I was a little hasty with this one. 'Twas my mistake (twice). It should be fixed now. Bleh...
    – Tonepoet
    Mar 31, 2017 at 2:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.