I was recently writing and found out that i couldn't use just one word to describe 4 people. For Example there is "Duo" for two people and "Trio" for three people. What terms can be used to describe more numbers?

  • 4
    Quartet, quintet, sextet, septet, octet, nonet and dectet (used mainly for musical ensembles). Mar 28, 2017 at 11:23
  • @michael.hor257k Is there a term for these collective numbers, like ordinal and cardinal? I didn't find one.
    – Davo
    Mar 28, 2017 at 12:44

2 Answers 2


See Quartet at Oxford dictionary, defined as

A set of four people or things.

There is also tetrad defined by Oxford dictionary as

A group or set of four

But I'm afraid tetrad and quartet both are pretty set in ways they are used. Please refer other dictionaries as well, such as Merriam Webster.


You can use foursome to describe a group of four people, although the term is normally used in the context of a social gathering. The group does not necessarily have to be mixed-sex.


A group of four people meeting for a social activity, such as playing a game or having a meal:

Why don't we invite Caroline and Mark and make up a foursome?

Cambridge Dictionary

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.