ex. I falcon punch him so hard he woke up back in daycare.

I'm looking for a word to use in place of 'over the top' in the sentence 'I'm a student of over-the-top Kung Fu.'

closed as primarily opinion-based by vickyace, Cascabel, Neil Fein, herisson, FumbleFingers Mar 28 '17 at 17:18

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Look up overkill – vickyace Mar 27 '17 at 23:47
  • exaggerated works – JMP Mar 28 '17 at 1:34
  • As JonMark Perry said, what is the problem with the word "exaggerated," which you seem to be already familiar with judging from the title of this question, or its synonyms that you can find listed in a thesaurus? E.g. why can't you just say "I'm a student of over-the-top Kung Fu" or "I'm a student of exaggerated Kung Fu." When you ask for a synonym, you should explain why you want it. – herisson Mar 28 '17 at 16:28
  • What's with this falcon? Is it some kind of eye-dialect / euphemistic version of fuckin'? There's the relatively recent BrE usage He drives a big fuck-off car, where that one effectively means over the top, "in-your-face". – FumbleFingers Mar 28 '17 at 17:18
  • 1
    Falcon Punch is a special move by Captain Falcon, a video game character. It became a meme, meaning to punch someone intensely. – Sprite 025 Mar 28 '17 at 23:05

None of these are specific to actions, but might work: melodramatic, sensationalist, flamboyant, exaggerated, extreme, outrageous, outlandish, grandiose, excessive, ostentatious, showy.

I'd try just clicking around on thesaurus.com to see what appeals to you.


I think that AlannaRose's answers are good but if you are looking for a word that means an action, and bearing in mind that "xyz Fu" is used to refer to the art of xyz then 'I'm a student of Pose Fu.' 'I'm a student of Posturing Fu.' or combined with AlannaRose's suggestion, things like 'I'm a student of Flamboyant Fu,' or 'I'm a student of Flamboyance Fu.' It is a shame there is not a word meaning posturing/flamboyant beginning with K. The closest I can think of is 'I'm a student of Kamp Fu.' but is misspelt, and gay.

  • We're looking for answers written at an expert level, and we also aim for a respectful tone appropriate to a professional or collegiate community. – MetaEd Mar 28 '17 at 17:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.