In some news, I see the words "fine dust", but it sounds strange.

Is it a common phrase?

ex) Fine dust is in the air.

closed as off-topic by Cascabel, Drew, Glorfindel, choster, MetaEd Mar 28 '17 at 17:38

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    "Specks" is what you're looking for. – Ricky Mar 28 '17 at 1:55
  • 1
    "Powder" is another possible term, but there's no clear rule as to whether "dust" or "powder" refers to a finer material. – Hot Licks Mar 28 '17 at 1:59
  • 1
    In technical parlance, "particulates". – fixer1234 Mar 28 '17 at 3:30
  • "Fine dust particles" is a common phrase
  • If just one dust, "a speck of dust" is a common phrase

nanoparticles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoparticle are perhaps the finest non-molecular lumps.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.