In some news, I see the words "fine dust", but it sounds strange.

Is it a common phrase?

ex) Fine dust is in the air.

  • 2
    "Specks" is what you're looking for.
    – Ricky
    Mar 28, 2017 at 1:55
  • 1
    "Powder" is another possible term, but there's no clear rule as to whether "dust" or "powder" refers to a finer material.
    – Hot Licks
    Mar 28, 2017 at 1:59
  • 1
    In technical parlance, "particulates".
    – fixer1234
    Mar 28, 2017 at 3:30

2 Answers 2

  • "Fine dust particles" is a common phrase
  • If just one dust, "a speck of dust" is a common phrase

nanoparticles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoparticle are perhaps the finest non-molecular lumps.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.