I was wondering what is the name for the introductory "coughing" in English, i.e. when somebody clears their throat to start their utterance. For example:

"Ekhm... Welcome! How can I help you?"

Is "ekhm" the right way to spell such onomatopoeia? Are there any other ways to spell it?

  • 1
    These posts about the use of fillers and hedges may be of interest to you. – Kit Z. Fox Aug 15 '11 at 12:37
  • What is it called, how do you write it, or what is it? It is called a 'clearing of the throat'. It is written 'ahem'. It is an unvoiced (glottal or laryngeal) nasal. Oh..and it acts as an attention getter. – Mitch Dec 15 '11 at 20:04

In English, we would most commonly spell this utterance "Ahem." It is used to somewhat politely gain someone's attention.

It can be considered a hedge or filler, that is, a vocal delay that allows the speaker time to collect their thoughts while speaking.

I understood what you meant by "ekhm," but I have never seen it spelled that way. However, I imagine that the spelling of a word like this could be subject to regional differences.


I'd just write:

Cough cough...

But, if you want the "e" version, it's actually:

Ahem! (not "e")

  • Thank you very much, it was on the tip of my tongue, but I simply forgot the spelling. I was looking for "Ahem". – Hiena Aug 15 '11 at 12:42

protected by user140086 May 29 '16 at 4:13

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.