if there is, a single word, that is more professional and used on academic work or everywhere else where good English is written with proper grammar.

E.g. They got one thing in common.
E.g. They have one common shared foundation.

I am not sure I am conveying my message in a way that matters. Thanks.

They have one thing in common—the user experience.

Edit: There's absolutely nothing wrong with the last example I added, grammatically speaking.

  • 2
    I think you should mention what the "thing" is. There are many words that satisfy your question in its current form. Is the common 'thing' an interest? Is it a trait? is it a skill ? If you provide the context it would be better for the community to answer. – Rio1210 Mar 21 '17 at 11:45
  • You mean 'genus'! – mahmud k pukayoor Mar 21 '17 at 11:50
  • 1
    They share a common user interface. – Lawrence Mar 21 '17 at 12:09
  • 1
    Try "one commonality." To me, it sounds more professional and academic. Plus, it is more economical. – rhetorician Mar 21 '17 at 12:15
  • 2
    You may not be sure that you're conveying your message in a way that matters. But the question doesn't say what the message is, or what matters, so it's difficult for anyone else to suggest something which does what you want. You haven't said what you want. (As you say, "one thing in common" is perfectly grammatical: what's wrong with that?) – Andrew Leach Mar 21 '17 at 12:20

I finally got down to write this sentence, and it seems more complete to the context as a whole. Thanks a lot, to @rhetorician who provided me with the word: commonality .

My written sentence:

nonetheless, perhaps the commonality they all share is the elements of user experience.

This is very good indeed.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes, very good. You could shorten the sentence even further by saying, "Nonetheless, perhaps their commonality is the element of user experience." (Commonality MEANS something they all share.) Don – rhetorician Mar 21 '17 at 14:09
  • I find this whole discussion confusing. Are all these web sites providing the same user experience, or are we merely saying that all web sites interface with users? Or is the "they" who have only one thing in common the people who share the trials and tribulations of user interfaces? Whatever is this about? – Xanne Mar 22 '17 at 1:53
  • More frequently found would be "the common feature." But saying that two things have something in common is perfectly acceptable in formal writing. – aparente001 Mar 23 '17 at 5:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.