Given a speech bubble, what is the pointy part from which indicates the origin of the spoken word?

enter image description here

I'm assuming this is the same term for thought bubbles? If not what's the term for the origin of thought bubbles?

2 Answers 2


According to wikipedia, it's a tail:

... uses a bubble with a pointer, called a tail, directed towards the speaker.


I can't find a definitive source, and Wikiepdia doesn't provide one. But it's used in the sites like this and elsewhere.

A common speech bubble is usually made up of a oval shape, with a tail at the bottom, indicating which person is the speaker.

There doesn't appear to be a distinction among the different versions of speech bubbles, so for a thought bubble, tail is still appropriate.


it's Notch. Well pronounced as speak bubble notch.

  • Welcome! Do you have a reference for that? A dictionary entry, perhaps, or do you know it by personal experience?
    – gmauch
    Jul 4, 2018 at 11:24
  • 1
    I wouldn't mind giving an upvote or even accepting if you could provide a source. As it stands I've gotten used to calling it a tail. Jul 9, 2018 at 1:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.