I'm looking for a word for "kid" or "child" that would apply (somewhat comically) in a space-age science-fiction setting.

closed as primarily opinion-based by Edwin Ashworth, Jim, alwayslearning, Cascabel, ab2 Mar 18 '17 at 21:13

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    This is where you get to make up any word you like in your story. You could call them newlings or maybe those are just babies and younglings are kids. The future hasn’t arrived yet so nobody knows what they will be called. This is therefore. Primarily Opinion Based. – Jim Mar 18 '17 at 16:09
  • @Jim thing is, I'm not writing a story -- I'm looking for a word with which to be funny in a presentation. I was hoping maybe Star Trek had some word for it already. In any case, I do agree that making one up is just as viable. – khaverim Mar 18 '17 at 16:11
  • @khaverim That sort of exchange is exactly why the single-word-request tag asks you to be specific about the intended use of the word. Otherwise people put in effort which won't ever be fruitful for you. Could you edit your question in accordance with the tag. – Spagirl Mar 18 '17 at 16:59

I believe that the Star Wars prequel movies referred to the youthful Jedi padawans as younglings. You could also call them sprites, littles, halflings, bits, spawn, munchkins, or gremlins off the top of my head. They aren't all spacey sounding but generally slightly humorous in my view. Or if you are thinking more Star Trek, what about some variation on tribbles?


How about "sprog"?



informal, humorous

A child.

Also sounds a little "space-age" in my opinion.

  • 1
    Nice find but it seems a little crude (en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sprog) -- I want to avoid indecency :-) – khaverim Mar 18 '17 at 15:55
  • 3
    "Sprog" is not considered indecent in any way in British English. – Laconic Droid Mar 18 '17 at 18:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.