Im not sure what's the most colloquial way to talk about those times when with colleagues you debate politics. Is it "office kitchen" talks ? Coffee machine talks ?

  • 11
    I’ve always heard that referred to as “water cooler conversation” – Jim Mar 14 '17 at 21:15
  • 3
    Are you looking for Water Cooler talk? – Yosef Baskin Mar 14 '17 at 21:16
  • 3
    coffee klatch, scuttle butt (although originally described gossip around a water dispenser) – Cascabel Mar 14 '17 at 21:16
  • I've generally heard it as "talk around the coffee machine", "coffee machine scuttlebutt", or some such. As suggested below, though, "water cooler talk" or "water cooler conversation" is a more "traditional" and generic way of putting it, even though people don't hang around the water cooler much anymore. – Hot Licks Mar 15 '17 at 2:17

Water cooler chatter

"Water cooler talk" sounds a bit flat and is a silly cliche.

  • 7
    And "water cooler chatter" somehow isn't because one word is changed? The key words in this phrase are "water cooler". That's the part that makes it sound flat and cliched. – ell Mar 14 '17 at 22:45
  • "word around the water cooler", "water cooler talk", "water cooler chat", "water cooler conversation", "water cooler [insert_your_word]" all convey the same concept. – barbecue Mar 15 '17 at 13:16
  • 1
    Sounding like a cliche is proof that it's widely recognized and well-known. – barbecue Mar 15 '17 at 13:18

Oh, that's easy..."coffee talk" a la SNL.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.