Im not sure what's the most colloquial way to talk about those times when with colleagues you debate politics. Is it "office kitchen" talks ? Coffee machine talks ?

  • 11
    I’ve always heard that referred to as “water cooler conversation”
    – Jim
    Commented Mar 14, 2017 at 21:15
  • 3
    Are you looking for Water Cooler talk? Commented Mar 14, 2017 at 21:16
  • 3
    coffee klatch, scuttle butt (although originally described gossip around a water dispenser) Commented Mar 14, 2017 at 21:16
  • I've generally heard it as "talk around the coffee machine", "coffee machine scuttlebutt", or some such. As suggested below, though, "water cooler talk" or "water cooler conversation" is a more "traditional" and generic way of putting it, even though people don't hang around the water cooler much anymore.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Mar 15, 2017 at 2:17

2 Answers 2


Water cooler chatter

"Water cooler talk" sounds a bit flat and is a silly cliche.

  • 7
    And "water cooler chatter" somehow isn't because one word is changed? The key words in this phrase are "water cooler". That's the part that makes it sound flat and cliched.
    – user428517
    Commented Mar 14, 2017 at 22:45
  • "word around the water cooler", "water cooler talk", "water cooler chat", "water cooler conversation", "water cooler [insert_your_word]" all convey the same concept.
    – barbecue
    Commented Mar 15, 2017 at 13:16
  • 1
    Sounding like a cliche is proof that it's widely recognized and well-known.
    – barbecue
    Commented Mar 15, 2017 at 13:18

Oh, that's easy..."coffee talk" a la SNL.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.