I'm looking for a word describing the sharing of an object (for example a letter) by other objects (for example words) such as:

  • The B in Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid as shared on the 3-dimensional ambigram on the book's cover.
  • The A in this game of Scrabble.
  • The I shared by WIKI and IGOR in this crossword puzzle.
  • 2
    I wish I could give this question infinitive votes and favorites... Aug 13, 2011 at 19:23

2 Answers 2


In crossword lingo, a shared letter is "doubly checked". There are instances where the letter might be shared with more than two clues, as the circled letters in this puzzle, and they would be "triply checked", or "quadruply checked", etc.

  • That is a fitting answer to the crossword and Scrabble part, but the GEB:EGB example was really the reason I asked and I don't feel like “doubly checked” is descriptive of that — there may yet be a better word! Aug 15, 2011 at 16:25
  • @Iceland_jack: I agree.
    – wfaulk
    Aug 15, 2011 at 16:32

You would be hard-pressed to find an answer that is "one key to every lock", but the word that you could be looking for is "overlapping" or "Intersecting" words.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.