I encountered a polishing cloth that has a line which says

(This cloth) generates sleeks and scratches on the glass surface.

What is the definition of sleek in this context? I looked up in a dictionary and all it says is gloss, smooth surface, but from the context it seems sleek is associated with scratch.

  • 1
    Although they’re clearly not appropriate to your context, sleek has several other obscure noun meanings: a measure of fruit or vegetables; a mud-bank; or an oily patch on water (parallel to slick). – PLL Aug 13 '11 at 17:23

"Sleek" is a term used in polishing that means:

Sleek - A polishing scratch having no visible conchoidal breaking of the edges.

Another polishing site gives a better definition:

A very fine scratch visible at only certain angles. Sleeks are found during polishing, usually being caused by impurities in the polishing compound or other contaminates. Sleeks also occur when the polishing compound dries out during a polishing session.

It is used specifically for polishing scratches.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.