The Coneheads wore little capes that just covered the shoulders.

enter image description here

What's the word or phrase for these little doodads?

  • I've heard it called a mantle, but a little googling shows me that "mantle" can be used to describe a wider variety of garments. – Tin Wizard Mar 9 '17 at 19:23

Since 1912 at least, they have been called 'capelets' according to Merriam-Webster online.

capelet : a small cape usually covering the shoulders

From the 14th century the word tippet seems to have been used. Merriam-Webster defines Tippet

2 : a shoulder cape of fur or cloth often with hanging ends

While I Marc Carlson's Glossary of some medieval clothing terms gives a lengthier description. (bolding mine)


[Origin uncertain; some suggest identity with OE. tæpped, tæppet, *teped (pl. tæppedu, tepedu) carpet, hanging, etc. = OHG. teppid, -ith, -it, tepid, -it: both ad. L. tapete (-a, -um) a carpet, tapestry hanging, bed-cover, table-cover. But there are great difficulties both of phonology and of sense. Others suggest a derivative of tip] 1. a. A long narrow slip of cloth or hanging part of dress, formerly worn, either attached to and forming part of the hood, head-dress, or sleeve, or loose, as a scarf or the like. Obs. exc. Hist.b. A garment, usually of fur or wool, covering the shoulders, or the neck and shoulders; a cape or short cloak, often with hanging ends. Now worn chiefly by women and girls, or by men as a part of certain official costumes. In many early quots. (omitted here), senses a and b are not distinguishable.

| improve this answer | |

Since I believe this moment in the movie represents quasi-religious garb, I believe pellegrina is appropriate (although that is closely tied with the Catholic religion).

For the secular version, capelet or tippet is appropriate.

| improve this answer | |

I have seen it called a Shoulder Cape, shown below on a nurse in the Australian Army Nursing Service working dress.

Other times, the cape may fit atop or into a heavy Western or Australian oilcloth coat for the cold and rain, called a duster.

Australian Army Nursing Service

| improve this answer | |
  • The picture is nice, but do you have a link or something to show that people have called it a "shoulder cape"? – herisson Mar 9 '17 at 16:47
  • 3
    What do you use often -- your ear or your language or your shoulder cape? – Chaim Mar 9 '17 at 16:56
  • 2
    I apologize if I offended. I was just trying to make a little joke. – Chaim Mar 9 '17 at 18:16
  • 1
    FWIW that kind of coat is called a horseman's duster. They do generally have a capelet which I believe functions for rain run off (they are more typically made out of oilcloth to be waterproof--the leather one in the picture looks like a fashion remake). – EricS Mar 9 '17 at 23:26
  • 1
    In other words... change the image, so people will be less influenced/annoyed/bothered/irritated by it, and see that your suggestion is perfectly fine. E.g awm.gov.au/education/nurse-s-shoulder-cape and awm.gov.au/blog/2014/08/13/… – Mari-Lou A Mar 9 '17 at 23:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.