I remember that I read somewhere a comment about a building that is out of place, does not blend well with the surrounding architecture, and I think the author of that comment used a specific word to describe such building. Any thoughts?


His Royal Highness the Price of Wales in a 1984 speech to the Royal Institute of British Architects described a proposed extension to the National Gallery in London as

a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend.

This could be the quote you have in mind.

  • Not exactly the quote, but rather the adjective 'monstrous'. The word is monstrosity, thanks. – John Doe Mar 9 '17 at 18:37

It's not an architectural term, but sore thumb is often used to describe buildings out of place:

startribune.com: Are contemporary homes cool kids, or sore thumbs?

ilovetheupperwestside.com: UWS Buildings that Stick Out Like Sore Thumbs

http://www.building.co.uk/: Strata tower: Southwark’s sore thumb

Also, intrusive:

http://onlineathens.com/: The placement of the tower is intrusive when you balance the scale and placement of the buildings in the immediate vicinity of the tower. It sticks out like a sore thumb.


An anachronism is:

something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, especially a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time

otherwise eyesore:

an ugly object or building


It is perhaps an incongruous building.


incongruous ADJECTIVE

Not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something.

‘Critics argue the park itself is incongruous in a country where around half the population of 130m lives below the poverty line.’

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.