I am curious as to what the Ænȝlıſc word is for "grammatical case." I remembered hearing a man say it before, but I cannot remember for sure. If I recall, he said something along the lines of "ſe Fæle," which is the same gender as, and very similar to the German word: "der Falle."

I thank any for any in advance.

  • That looks to me like just a calque of the German rather than "authentic" Old English as we know it was spoken. But it may not matter much, since the German is a calque of the Latin, which is if I remember correctly a calque of the Greek word for "case." – herisson Mar 7 '17 at 15:14
  • I was thinking the same thing. I managed to find the video, and he said any of: se fyll, se fiell, þæt fyll, or þæt fiell... youtube.com/watch?v=TmI5ag1s38E two completely different Genders, two completely different pronunciations. – Matthew T. Scarbrough Mar 7 '17 at 22:11
  • 1
    The OED says the Old English word for "fall" was "fięll, fyll ( < *falli-z)" Apparently it could be masculine or neuter: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fiell Wiktionary also says it did mean "case," apparently – herisson Mar 7 '17 at 22:13
  • okay, thanks. I guess that can be the answer... I do thank you. – Matthew T. Scarbrough Mar 7 '17 at 22:15

According to Wiktionary, "se/þæt fiell," either masculine or neuter, can also mean "grammatical case."


| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.