A student seeking a bachelor's degree is an undergraduate student; a student seeking a master's degree is a graduate student. What would a student seeking a Ph.D. be called? Would he/she still be called a graduate student or is there a different term to be used?

  • 7
    They would also be a graduate student.
    – fixer1234
    Commented Mar 5, 2017 at 4:28
  • Your definition of graduate student is wrong. A student who is admitted to study for any degree beyond the baccalaureate (Bachelor's level) is a graduate student. They have already graduated, that is. This includes Master's and Doctor's degrees. Special appellations are available for graduate students at medical and dental schools (medical or dental student). Commented Mar 5, 2017 at 14:17

1 Answer 1


Ph.D. candidate maybe. I think it is OK.

  • 2
    "Doctoral" might also do although I wouldn't want to be too doctrinal on the matter. Commented Mar 5, 2017 at 9:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.