Is there a term for the written, paragraph-form parts of a paper/report/etc., as opposed to the figures, equations, and their captions? I'm reviewing a technical report for a colleague who has put a lot of numerical data in the written part, making it a bit tedious to read. I want to suggest that he summarize this numerical data in a separate table or chart, e.g.:

There are a lot of numbers in the written parts; you should summarize them in a table.

I feel like there should be a better word for "written part" however. The word "copy" is close, but seems to be used specifically for the text in advertisements.

1 Answer 1


Simply [one of the senses of] text.

text 2 [in singular]

The main body of a book or other piece of writing, as distinct from other material such as notes, appendices, and illustrations. ‘the pictures are clear and relate well to the text’


The problem is, of course, possible confusion with the other sense/s.

  • Slightly embarrassed I didn't think of this. It works well, especially if I contrast it with the words "figures" and "charts" to disambiguate its meaning.
    – Carlton
    Mar 3, 2017 at 15:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.