enter image description hereBack in the days in the Middle East, people use to get their drinking water from certain type of street vendors. Those vendors knew certain spots in rivers, where water is clean; they fill a big leather backpack and wander the streets selling water to customers. What can we call such vendors? Is there an English term?

  • Look up hawker.
    – vickyace
    Mar 3, 2017 at 15:34
  • Are you asking about a street vendor (a generic word for anyone who sells in the street), or someone who sells water? Hawker or pedlar are generic terms -- among others, I'm sure -- but specific terms for water-sellers are definitely going to be more obscure.
    – Andrew Leach
    Mar 3, 2017 at 15:40
  • 3
    I would imagine that English would have just absorbed the local word, or called them water-sellers, given that it isn't an occupation that I'm aware of an indigenous British version of. So during British rule in India regimental water bearers were called bhistis.
    – Spagirl
    Mar 3, 2017 at 15:54

1 Answer 1


"Water seller."

Googling that term takes me to

  1. Different ways that the title The Water-Seller of Seville is translated into English: "Water-Seller"; "Waterseller"; "Water Seller."
  2. Bilingual dictionaries. The Spanish aguador is translated "water seller."
  3. Google Translate. Translating into Japanese or Urdu and back gets me "water sellers"; into Arabic and back gets me "water vendors"; into Amharic and back gets me "water seller" again.

I'd say the votes are in.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.