What's the one word to describe a person to whom good looks matters; who sees good looks as the first criteria to accept someone in his/her life?

closed as off-topic by Mari-Lou A, ab2, sumelic, Hank, NVZ Feb 23 '17 at 14:37

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Mari-Lou A, ab2, sumelic, Hank, NVZ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Please provide an example sentence. Please say whether the term you are looking for should be slang, derogatory, or neutral. Please say what terms, words, and idioms you have discarded, and why. Please share your research with us, so users can give you great answers. – Mari-Lou A Feb 23 '17 at 9:26
  • Almost a duplicate of this: Word Request: To do with physical appearance – Mari-Lou A Feb 23 '17 at 9:41


Judging a person based strictly on looks, not factoring in their personality whatsoever.

-- urbandictionary.com


I think superficial fits here:

concerned only with the obvious or apparent

presenting only an appearance without substance or significance

(source: Merriam-Webster)

The link even provides a sample usage which fits your situation:

Angelina Jolie goes blond and bubbly and hell hasn't even started freezing over. The brooding brunette donned a Monroe-esque platinum coif for her most recent film, “Life or Something Like It.” She plays a superficial reporter who learns what's most important in life—which is, apparently, getting it on with Edward Burns. —Katerine Stroup et al., Newsweek, 23 July 2001

  • - 1 for citing "a superficial reporter" as a parallel example, it does not mean someone who cares about physical appearance. That movie review was clearly written in an ironic/sarcastic tone. – Mari-Lou A Feb 23 '17 at 9:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.