Stapler anvils have two kind of grooves on the anvil that allow pins to close inwards and outwards?

What word/phrase is used to refer to these settings?

enter image description here

  • 18
    The normal one and the funny one.
    – Hot Licks
    Feb 16, 2017 at 20:01
  • 4
    Today I learned the, in retrospect, obvious, phrase "stapler anvil". Feb 17, 2017 at 15:29
  • 1
    Well, today I learned that staplers even have such a setting. Feb 17, 2017 at 16:46
  • @ShreevatsaR Not all do, just most. I've found a handful of older ones that do not.
    – Hank
    Feb 17, 2017 at 17:59

1 Answer 1


The two types are called stapling and pinning.

The pinning groove, also known as the sheer setting is used for papers/items that need to be fastened together temporarily, hence the outward bending of the staple. This method makes removal much easier than the normal stapling method, also known as the reflexive setting, which bends the staple inwards, causing a more permanent and harder to remove fastening.

Both methods of stapling

(Wiki & Wiki)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.