Stapler anvils have two kind of grooves on the anvil that allow pins to close inwards and outwards?

What word/phrase is used to refer to these settings?

enter image description here

  • 18
    The normal one and the funny one. – Hot Licks Feb 16 '17 at 20:01
  • 4
    Today I learned the, in retrospect, obvious, phrase "stapler anvil". – Tofystedeth Feb 17 '17 at 15:29
  • 1
    Well, today I learned that staplers even have such a setting. – ShreevatsaR Feb 17 '17 at 16:46
  • @ShreevatsaR Not all do, just most. I've found a handful of older ones that do not. – Hank Feb 17 '17 at 17:59

The two types are called stapling and pinning.

The pinning groove, also known as the sheer setting is used for papers/items that need to be fastened together temporarily, hence the outward bending of the staple. This method makes removal much easier than the normal stapling method, also known as the reflexive setting, which bends the staple inwards, causing a more permanent and harder to remove fastening.

Both methods of stapling

(Wiki & Wiki)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.