What is the word for a group of businesses all selling the same product in the same location? For example, many cities have streets lined only by jewelry stores, clothing shops, or some other specific type of merchant.

I'm looking for a way to describe that situation, something similar to the word hub .

  • I don't know if it works for outside vendors, but a word referring to multiple vendors in one shop is colocated. (one l; two l's is a different word) Also market might be applicable, as in farmers' market, flea market.
    – RichF
    Feb 16, 2017 at 2:00
  • 1
    can also be known as a district if it’s big enough. See New York’s Garment District for example.
    – Jim
    Feb 16, 2017 at 3:43
  • hub is for transportation, trucks, airports and buses, for example.
    – Lambie
    Feb 5, 2020 at 23:41
  • In Philadelphia, the term is "row": The most touristy and externally known is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewelers%27_Row,_Philadelphia but there is also a Fabric Row and a Cooks Row.
    – user662852
    Feb 6, 2020 at 4:51

2 Answers 2


Often in a city an area where the same businesses trade is known as a quarter - as in the Jewellery Quarter


It's a form of clustering called:

Retail Clustering

  • The grouping of stores based on common store and demographic characteristics.

Relevant links and articles:





Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.