What would you call a person who stalks other's monitor? I have a colleague at work who looks at my monitor whenever he passes by. How would I describe such person?

  • 1
    In the gaming world, this is known as screen peeping. – Dan Bron Feb 15 '17 at 7:47
  • 6
    He is obviously a monitor monitor. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Feb 15 '17 at 7:50
  • 3
    @JanusBahsJacquet Quis custodiet monitor monitor? – deadrat Feb 15 '17 at 8:39
  • 3
    @deadrat I think you mean quis custodiet monitorum monitorem. ;-) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Feb 15 '17 at 9:05
  • 2
    Take a picture of that person and make it your desktop and screensaver. – Davo Feb 15 '17 at 19:17

If he has no business looking at your monitor (that is, it is not part of his job to monitor what you're doing on company time), then he is a busybody.

That is defined as:

A person who meddles or pries into the affairs of others.

Someone who interferes with others; one who is nosy, intrusive or meddlesome.

  • The kind of person you just want to punch in the mouth for being so damb annoying. They have no life and way too much time on their hands. They frequently use their excessive amount of time to annoy and monitor others, taddletale for small meaningless crap, butt into everybody's business except their own, and spy on people as if they think they are a cop or an important person or something. -UrbanDict – Chankey Pathak Feb 16 '17 at 5:03

A term to describe this type of activity is:

Shoulder surfing

...the act of obtaining personal or private information through direct observation. Shoulder surfing involves looking over a person's shoulder to gather pertinent information while the victim is oblivious. This is especially effective in crowded places where a person uses a computer, smartphone or ATM.

A slang term used in the the gaming community to describe cheating by looking at another user´s screen is:

screen peeking (sometimes cheating, watching, surfing, hopping, etc)

but it usually is used when video gamers are on a split screen engaged in "shooter" type activity.

So you could call this person a shoulder surfer, or a screen peeker.


Someone who rubber necks. Or a rubbernecker, basically someone who will go to great lengths to look at something which does not concern them ie contorting their necks to see around obstacles.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.