You are saying:

As can be seen, the proposed algorithm may fail to give the correct answer. In order to improve this shortcoming, we suggest the following modifications.

What is the right word to use with "shortcoming" in this situation? I used improve but I do not know if this is the correct verb.

  • 1
    I agree that "improve" isn't quite right; it would imply that you're trying to make the shortcoming more effective, which would make the bearer of the shortcoming worse off. :-) Commented Feb 13, 2017 at 20:07
  • 2
    Why mention shortcoming? Just say "... In order to rectify this, we suggest the following modifications." Commented Feb 13, 2017 at 22:26

3 Answers 3


In order to correct this shortcoming, we suggest the following modifications.

  • The problem I might have with this, is that the shortcoming may still be there.. often time shortcomings are inherent to something and you need away to "get around" the problem.
    – Tom22
    Commented Feb 14, 2017 at 1:45
  • "correct for" this shortcoming would work great though
    – Tom22
    Commented Feb 14, 2017 at 1:47

In addition to @Paul Brinkley's suggestion of correct, you could use the word mitigate, which implies improving a shortcoming but not necessarily completely correcting it.


Overcome this shortcoming

I'm most familiar with a sentence like "In order to overcome this shortcoming, we put non slip tape on the floor".

overcome oxford dicitonaries VERB


1Succeed in dealing with (a problem or difficulty): ‘he overcame his pain for a time’

1.1 Defeat (an opponent): ‘an experienced England side overcame the determined home team’

1.2 (of a feeling or emotion) overpower or overwhelm: ‘she was obviously overcome with excitement’

  • But that sounds horrible.
    – TonyK
    Commented Feb 14, 2017 at 1:26
  • @TonyK ok lol I guess two 'comings" is one too much. Overcome a problem, "Get around" this shortcoming. Correct is fine too
    – Tom22
    Commented Feb 14, 2017 at 1:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.