What is the name of this "wardrobe" I use for putting the student's material and books?

Closet? Wardrobe? Cabinet?

image of cupboard/bookcase/cabinet with doors

  • 1
    In English, we ask What do you call...? not How do you call...? – AmE speaker Feb 9 '17 at 21:34
  • @Clare - Here closet closet closet.... – Jim Feb 9 '17 at 22:52

The general word is cabinet

A cupboard with drawers or shelves for storing or displaying articles

When used as you show, it's generally called a supply cabinet or a storage cabinet. Wikipedia has an article for stationery cabinet that describes the same thing, but I don't think I've ever heard that term (and the article is missing citations); it could be regional. I can't find much in the way of dictionary-style citations for my phrases, either, but googling them brings up lots of retail sites that sell products with these names.

If it's a small room, rather than a standalone device, it's then called a supply closet. Often a supply closet will contain several cabinets.

  • 2
    Also, students will often have individual storage locations. These are called lockers, since each student has an individual locking device. Locker rooms in athletic facilities are named after the same, individual, lockable cabinets. – RichF Feb 9 '17 at 21:40
  • 1
    @RichF And classrooms often have a rack of shelves where each student gets one little shelf, these are called cubbyholes. – Barmar Feb 9 '17 at 21:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.