Sometimes, after the actual song is finished, musicians add an extra something to it, not necessarily part of the lyrics. Sometimes they recite a poem or sing lyrics from another song without instrumentals. Sometimes, usually after the last song in an album, there is a long pause and then some messing around or a bonus song obviously not meant to be a part of the album.

Is there a term or terms for the stuff that goes on after a song is finished?

2 Answers 2


In modern times, I think this would referred to in radio broadcast or musical compositions as an "outro" even when lacking an "intro"



I think the term you are looking for is coda:

  • (Music) a more or less independent passage, at the end of a composition, introduced to bring it to a satisfactory close.


  • Coda [ˈkoːda] (Italian for "tail", plural code) is a term used in music primarily to designate a passage that brings a piece (or a movement) to an end. Technically, it is an expanded cadence. It may be as simple as a few measures, or as complex as an entire section.


  • That's for something within a song. The OP is referring to a term for something outside a song, or even a collection of songs.
    – Lawrence
    Commented Feb 2, 2017 at 11:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.