When it's hot and humid, you start to feel slightly uncomfortable, where you're not just "hot", but also a bit dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous, and you feel like you can't breathe. What is that feeling called?

Now maybe you can just simply call it "oppressive" and "uncomfortable", but is there a more specific term to it?


1 Answer 1


That sounds like a suffocating feeling.


suffocating adjective

Something that is suffocating makes you feel uncomfortably hot or unable to breathe:
I've got to open the window - it's suffocating in here!
suffocating smoke/fumes

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.